A strong cover letter should introduce your resume by highlighting the components which are most relevant to the job and supplement the resume with important information about yourself. It provides the employer with a glimpse of you as a person and potential colleague.
Cover Letter Tips
Keep the following points in mind as your write and rewrite your cover letters:
- Write to a specific person.
- Use the person’s name and title.
- Make sure the spelling is correct.
- Position you are applying for and how you learned of the opening.
- Why you are applying for the position, i.e., level of interest.
- Explanation of your qualifications and how you can contribute to the organization.
- Make reference to your resume; but don’t repeat the same information.
- State what action you want from them: an interview.
- Indicate what follow-up action you will take.
- Limit your cover letter to one page.
- Focus on the employer rather than yourself
- Do not embellish